January 19, 2011

Monte Carlo


I asked him to pour me something brown,
It mattered not if rocks or up.
A drink that left me be to drown,
At the bottom of my tumbler cup.

Nothing neat,
Is all I ask;
And not too sweet (his Manhattans are so damned sweet).

Oh and Not Too Dry.
Without hesitation, equal to task,
He added Rye.

And on and on,
He shook and shook,
And then it was: 

A Monte Carlo! He said,
When he was done.

                    Not neat, 
                    Not dry,
                    Not too sweet... 
                    And I imbibed.

It was almost as good... 
As the Second one.
  
I figured that since we all seem to be looking for ways to work more rye into the rotation you'd appreciate the story. And the direction...

Monte Carlo
Ice
2oz rye whiskey, preferably 100-plus-proof
3/4oz Benedictine
2 dashes aromatic bitters
Maraschino or brandied cherry, for garnish

Fill a cocktail shaker halfway full with ice. Add the rye whiskey, Benedictine and bitters. Shake well for at least 30 seconds, then strain into a cocktail (martini) glass. Garnish with the cherry.



MON AMI LOUNGE
4901 Broadway
San Antonio, TX 78209

Recipe and "Up" Photo Courtesy: The Washington Post. 

1 comment:

Matthew Hranek said...

I am all over this!
M